I made a beeline for the wooded trails around a small lake on campus. I ran out of water and made another beeline back to school to refill. I don’t know how Jefferson, Madison, and others managed to get anything done (or wear all those frilly layers) in the summertime. What they needed was a Yvon Chouinard:
No longer can we assume the Earth's resources are limitless; that there are ranges of unclimbed peaks extending endlessly beyond the horizon. Mountains are finite, and despite their massive appearance, they are fragile.
-Yvon Chouinard (Chouinard Equipment catalog, Oct. '74)For those not as well-versed in the outdoor gear culture, Yvon Chouinard is the founder of
Patagonia, one of the most innovative, long-standing, environmentally-conscious, and well-respected names in the business. Patagonia is also on board with us this summer, as one of the gear companies supporting the Rainier climb. They have provided much of the clothing and outerwear I’m using on the mountain. As my mom surveyed the box of climbing apparel addressed to Doug in Seattle, she commented on the phone, with disappointment in her voice, that none of it was her size. (For a moment, I think she considered leaving her day job as a professor to become a mountaineer. I don't think Patagonia is looking for an outdoor ambassador in the Criminal Justice Department, Ma.)
When I returned from the odyssey, I ditched the pack, the boots, the poles, and the insulin pump and jumped headlong into the pool outside my apartment.
So the training continues...because of the heat, I've mostly stuck to cardio and climbing in the gym. The World Cup makes it more interesting, and kicking the ball around with friends is a nice change in routine.
A huge thank you to Terra, Chris, and our friends over at Patagonia for supporting my climb for Insulindependence!
Just over a week until the Westward journey starts! First stop: Denver .
Festina lente.*
*Found a good mountaineering motto in Wheelock's Latin textbook-- a favorite saying of the emperor Augustus. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment